This is Nigeria and we love occasions, no doubt about that. We are naturally festive people, and we never pass up the opportunity to throw a party or go for an owambe. When you are the guest, you expect to turn up for the delicious food, chilled evergreen drinks, and the gbedu! You expect no less for the occasion. You measure the success or failure of the occasion by the quantity and quality of the food and drinks, and by how savvy the DJ was in his song selection.
As the host, planning an occasion is a little more complicated. You have to plug all holes to ensure that your guests have a good time. One major mistake that many hosts overlook is the selection of drinks they have to offer their guests. Many only think about making food available in abundance. But the drinks? They just get water and some carbonated or malt drinks, make half-hearted efforts to chill them, and that’s it.
If we have just described your activities, then it may be why you always have dissatisfied guests every time you throw a party. We can assure you that you need to pay as much attention to the drinks as you pay to the food. Because the perfect owambe offers a combination of good food and appropriate drinks.
Here are five tips to follow in choosing the perfect drinks for your occasion:
- Consider your budget: A popular Yoruba proverb says, “money says no one should do anything while it is absent.” Before you choose the drinks, you need to consider your options in relation to your budget. Once you have earmarked the amount of money you can afford to spend, it will guide you in your selection of drinks to offer your guests. You should go for brands that combine quality and affordability, like the Nigerian Breweries brands. Sounds like we are blowing our own trumpet, right? But who will if we don’t?
- Consider your guest list: This is as important as your budget. The demography of your guests can help you select the right kinds of drinks to offer. Are you catering to old, young, kids, elite or regular people? This will inform you about the choice of drinks you should offer.
- Create a drinks menu: This will help you organise your drinks selection. You can also make a list of drinks before the occasion, for your guests to choose from (You can use a Google form). That way, you will be able to provide drinks that your guests will actually enjoy.
- Be creative: Don’t limit yourself to conventional ideas. Give your guests variety and introduce them to new drinks. Have you heard of Climax from the stables of Nigerian Breweries? That’s a good drink to serve your guests, to help them get their party groove on!
- Be thoughtful: The most thoughtful thing you can do for your guests is to make as many drinks as possible available. Don’t limit them to one or two. Give them a variety and treat them to plenty. Watch how your occasion will be the talk of the town for many weeks after.