When we mention malt drinks, many Nigerians think of one thing – those drinks that come in bottles or cans, served to special visitors or on august occasions. As correct as this may be, malt drinks are much more than that. A malt drink is any beverage made from sprouted barley (or any other whole grain).
Ok… don’t get confused. Sprouting involves a special type of soaking that allows the grains to grow sprouts (or tails), which are then used to produce the malt drinks.
Because malt drinks vary, there are degrees to this. The processing determines whether you get beer, stout, whiskey or malt extracts. Malt drinks include beers – ale and lager (Star, Heineken, Gulder, Legend Extra Stout) – and the most popular of all, non-alcoholic malt drinks (Maltina, Amstel Malta and Malta Gold). You could also get malt extracts from these processes.
Now that you know your malt drinks, you should also know that they have high nutritional benefits. Invariably, your malt intake should go beyond the occasional drink. If you’re wondering how to get a steady supply of high-quality brews, rest assured, Nigerian Breweries has got you covered.
Here are some benefits of malt drinks:
- We’ll start with the most renowned. Malt drinks boost your mood and make you happy. Think about how excited you feel when you glimpse a chilled bottle of Maltina or Heineken. Or the happy vibes you get after the first sip of that malted goodness.
Let’s remind you that scientists say happy people tend to live a longer and healthier life. Why not boost that happiness with any of our malt brands?
- Malt drinks help you digest your food easily. This is because they contain essential soluble fibres that help the good bacteria lining your gut to digest your food more quickly. So, step down your meals with a cold bottle of any malt drink of your choice.
- Malted drinks help to reduce heart problems. Malt extracts contain fibre, potassium, folate and vitamin B6, which help to lower cholesterol in the body. So, with a healthy glass of Maltina in your hands, you are reducing your risk of dealing with heart diseases.
- Malt provides a high source of energy-giving protein. They contain vitamins, minerals, starch, protein and trace elements, which are easily absorbed by the body and prevent heaviness common to other starches. So, they are ideal for energy boosts during mental and physical activity.
- Malt drinks help to keep you hydrated. No doubt, malt drinks contain large amounts of water which helps to detoxify, keep us cool, and refreshed. Not that you should substitute a bottle of malt for a nourishing glass of water, but any one of your choices can be a good substitute on a hot day.
Today, why not pick up any of our malt drinks and treat your body to these health benefits?